Valuable materials are ending up in our landfills every day:
Recycling saves lots of energy: Products made from recycled material use less energy!
ECO Facts from Terracycle:
* Recycled paper uses 60-70% less energy than virgin pulp and 55% less water
*It takes 90% less energy to recycle aluminum cans than to make new ones.
* Recycled paper uses 60-70% less energy than virgin pulp and 55% less water.
* Did you know 1 million plastic bags are used hourly worldwide?
* 84% of all household waste can be recycled.
Tips for recycling and working for zero waste in your home and business!
– Recycle all plastic bottles, plastic tubs, metal and aluminum cans, glass and newspapers. Every community has different rules for this, but please don’t put these in the trash! Find a recycling location near you at http://earth911.com/
– Establish a place to collect recyclables. Keep a place in your office for recycling, as well as your kitchen. OR even better, keep a place for recycling in every room of your house or business. http://earth911.com/news/2012/12/11/binbisa-new-recycling-bin/ …AND recycle all junk mail
– Pre-cycle: Become aware of the packaging of the products you purchase. Buy the products with the least packaging, and with packaging that is recyclable.
– Awareness – The more you recycle the more you become aware of new things that you can recycle!
– Plastic Bags: All clean and dry plastic bags should be recycled. If it stretches and is clean, recycle it. Many grocery stores will take bags for recycling. Ask stores to start collecting plastic bags for recycling if you don’t have someone local. Some cities have banned the use of plastic bags!! We all can recycle them. Studies indicate that 100,000 marine animals and 2 million birds die every year from ingesting or being caught up in plastic debris*
** EcoFact Did you know 1 million plastic bags are used hourly worldwide?
–Through recycling and composting you should get your garbage down to one small bag a week!
To create markets for recyclables
PURCHASE MATERIALS MADE FROM RECYCLABLES WHENEVER POSSIBLE AND CLOSE THE RECYCLING LOOP AND SAVE ENERGY!
RECYCLE * MANUFACTURE * PURCHASE products made of recycled materials
For more information:
Hennepin County and recycle everywhere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT-BjAuAmmw
http://www.startribune.com/local/232291261.html Valuable recyclables end up in the trash