Climate Change is Here!
“There is mounting evidence that harm to the nation will increase substantially in the future unless global emissions of heat-trapping gases are greatly reduced,” U.S. National Climate Assessment, May 2014
Climate Change is real, we are living it, it’s serious, and our human activity is making it worse. In Minnesota our insurance rates have increase 267% since 1998, as we have become vulnerable to our changing climate with more droughts, and more heavy rain.
How can we consume less energy? The following are my suggestions for things we can all do to reduce the amount of carbon we dump into the air:
- Always turn off lights and unplug electronics when not in use.
- Drive less: Walk, bike, ride share, Carpool, combine errands, and take public transport.
- Reduce two-cycle engine pollution: Add more garden and pollinator friendly plants to reduce your lawn mowing, shovel snow by hand, and choose silent sports. Polluting our air is not cool!!
- Reduce or eliminate your use of pesticides, and all chemicals. Your family, your pets, birds and butterflies will be much healthier.
- Reduce or eliminate beef from your diet. Producing beef uses lots of energy!
- Recycle all plastics, glass and metal cans, and of course paper. According to TerraCycle 84% of household waste can be recycled
- Purchase products made from recycled materials. This saves energy, trees, water and natural resources. Recycled paper products are the easiest to find.
- Turn down the thermostat in the winter and reduce air conditioning in the summer. Schedule an energy audit from your local power company for ways your home can be more efficient.
- Finally, work to elect leaders that believe in Climate Change, and support clean renewable energy solutions.
6 thoughts on “Slow Climate Change”