Are you frightened by the incredible power in the United States of big business? They are the only ones with money, and spend millions to keep their power over the consumer. In this November Oregon referendum, like they have done in other states, big business is spending millions of dollars to keep us from knowing what is in our food.
We should as consumers, know what harmful ingredients our foods could contain. I want the products I purchase labelled if they have GMOs, and if they have been sprayed with harmful chemicals!
According to surveys, 90% of us think our food should be labeled for GMOs, and it is frustrating that large corporations control the message with lies about we eat. We still have some choices. and as consumers can try to stay away from GMO products. Our power is in wise consumer choices!
What can you do?
- Reduce the amount of processed foods you purchase, and eat REAL food.
- Always read labels. soy and corn syrup are GMO products.
- Eat organic and local as much as you can afford. Shop food-coops and farmers markets.
- Never use neonicotinoids or pesticides on your lawn or garden
- Do NOT believe what Monsanto, Bayer, General Mills, Cargill, Coca-Cola, Pepsi and others …..are telling you about chemicals and GMOs. Big business thinks about profit and not what is healthy for you, or our bees, birds and butterflies!
- Support the Right to Know Amendment on the Oregon Ballot on Election Day, November http://oregonrighttoknow.org/ Support them financially if you can: https://oregonrighttoknow.ngpvanhost.com/form/31251809577535232?ms=E.FR-O-LFW1.ND.NAT.MAIN_CONTRIBUTE-DONATE&AM=35
- Watch this Bill Nye video and learn about GMOs, http://ecowatch.com/2014/10/15/bill-nye-science-guy-gmo-foods/
“All-natural” and “heart-healthy” don’t qualify as labels. They’re just food industry hype. Kellogg can claim that its energy bar will make you as strong as Hercules, but only the “Nutritional information” box tells you what’s actually inside the package — and herbicides, pesticides and GMOs aren’t listed.
The certified-organic label, on the other hand, lets you know beyond a reasonable doubt where your food comes from and how it’s made. Plus, you can feel good about supporting a food system that spends a fraction of its capital (human and otherwise) on marketing, packaging, branding, advertising and so on. Your dollar will go to people who put in 12-hour days, seven days a week to improve your health and that of the planet.” Bonnie Blodgett http://strib.mn/1xdzUc5
What are Genetically Engineered Foods / GMOs?
“Plants or animals that have had their genetic makeup altered to exhibit traits that are not naturally theirs.”
From the glossary on the Monsanto website.
“Organisms in which the genetic material (DNA) has been altered in a way that does not occur naturally.”
World Health Organization
Find more information:
GMO crops are creating a mono culture and wiping out the habitat of our bees, butterflies and birds. More information: Friends of the Earth foe.org/monarchs