Climate change is real, human activity is causing it, and with all of us taking simple actions we can make a big difference. Below are my suggestions for a new commitment to our earth, our children, and to our own health!
My top TEN suggestions for a happier healthier 2014:
- Always turn off lights and unplug electronics when not in use. For me this is a constant effort because I love light during the winter!
- Drive less: Walk, bike, ride share, Carpool, combine errands, and take public transport.
- Reduce two-cycle engine pollution: Add more garden and pollinator friendly plants to reduce your lawn mowing, shovel snow by hand, and choose silent sports. Polluting our air is not cool!!
- Purchase products made from recycled materials. This saves energy, trees, water and natural resources. Recycled paper products are the easiest to find.
- Reduce or eliminate your use of pesticides, especially Neonicotinoids. You, your pets, birds and butterflies will be much healthier.
- Reduce or eliminate beef from your diet. Producing beef uses lots of energy!
- Recycle all plastics, glass and metal cans, and of course paper. According to TerraCycle 84% of household waste can be recycled
- Turn down the thermostat and survey your home for ways it can be more efficient. Schedule an energy audit from your local power company.
- Read Labels: Never purchase or use hand wash or cleaning products with Triclosan. There is evidence they are hormone disrupters and they concentrate in our lakes and streams. Change your cleaning products to reduce chemicals in your home. Baking soda and vinegar can clean almost anything! This is a link to make your own products: http://www.pca.state.mn.us/index.php/view-document.html?gid=11368
- Finally, work to elect leaders that believe in Climate change.
http://mashable.com/2013/10/22/reduce-carbon-footprint/ What you can do for climate change