Garbage is a terrible thing to waste!
On America Recycles Day, what commitment can you make to recycle more? I live in a community where my one-sort recycle bin is picked up bi-weekly and compost every week. It is easy!! However, every community has their own rules on recycling and composting. Find recycling information for your community http://earth911.com/
It is a horrible to waste valuable resources by putting recyclables in the landfill where they might sit for hundreds of years(We don’t know how long plastic will last, maybe forever in tiny pieces!)
Some ideas to help you recycle more:
- Bottle caps should stay on bottles.
- Magazines and glossy paper can be recycled!
- Shredded paper is hard to recycle, it flies around. Compost shredded paper.
- Food stained cardboard(pizza boxes) should not be recycled. Again, they can be composted along with paper egg cartons.
- Do not put plastic bags in your compost bin. They jam the machines! Bring all plastic bags back to the grocery store for recycling, and reuse them over and over before you recycle them.
- Choose glass or aluminum over plastic. Glass and aluminum are easier to recycle.
- More ideas
- Get into the recycle mindset
- Good Luck!