Use your power as a consumer to create a better world!
Today is Buy Nothing Day, it is a day to turn our back on the awful obsession with consumerism we have in the United States. The things we purchase put stress on all our resources, water, air, time, energy, and landfills. All the stuff we buy contributes to the climate crisis! Do you really need more junk? Give thanks for what you have and all the people in your life. Be grateful for our beautiful planet, and for all you have. Instead of shopping spend your day outdoors or spend time doing something creative. Instead of shopping for happiness take deep breaths and do something you love. All the state parks in my state are free today, and I’m off for a long walk!
From Thanksgiving to New Year’s Day, household waste increases by more than 25%. Added food waste, shopping bags, packaging, wrapping paper, bows and ribbons all adds up to an additional 1 million tons a week to our landfills. (Source: EPA)
The Story of Stuff – Story of Stuff
A consumer is powerful. The choices we make, and what we purchase changes marketing and products, and as consumers we can make a big difference by the choices we make. These choices can make a positive change on the environment creating a more sustainable world.
- Heighten your awareness of packaging and waste, choosing products with minimal or no wasteful plastic packaging.
- Always shop with reusable bags.
- Never purchase products with glitter or Styrofoam. They can’t be recycled and are harmful to wildlife.
- Shop reuse stores. Some of my favorite clothes and items come from consignment stores.
- Shop bulk items.
- Buying in bulk is a good way to manage food waste, and plastic waste. Bring your own bags or containers.
- Shop retailers that pay living wages and are local over big box stores.
- Buy nothing and reuse what you have!
- Purchase items that will last instead of cheap junk.
- Avoid all single-use plastic
- Make your own choices and be creative, don’t be owned by corporations like Apple, Target, Amazon etc.