March 20th is the International World Happiness Day. This year, 2018, Finland has been declared the world’s happiest country. Read about it here. Finland is followed by Norway, Denmark, and Iceland. It amazes me that these cold Nordic countries tip the balance of happiness, obviously there is a lot more than long dark winters for happiness! These countries that are more environmentally savvy and conscious and consistently top the list of greenest countries. Clean air, clean water, renewable energy, and reducing plastic pollution are their way of life.
Happiness suggestions from me and Actionforhappiness.org
1. Do things for others and volunteer your time
2. Take care of your body, go for a walk, eat fruits and vegetables
3. Pay attention and live your life mindfully
4. Learn new things, and lose yourself in something you love
5. Have goals or things to look forward to
6. Everything won’t go the way you want, but happy people bounce back and are resilient
7. Look for what is good and smile
8. Accept yourself, be comfortable with yourself and who you are
9. Be part of something bigger than just yourself
10. Get outside and enjoy our world! 11. Listen and be thankful!
I need a boost of positive energy, and these stories are full of hope and energy. I hope these positive stories get your week started with gratitude and full of positive energy. Enjoy!
** McDonald’s has announced a new commitment to sustainability. The fast-food chain will launch recycling in all of its restaurants and by 2025, 100% of its packaging will be sustainable. I am assuming this means compostable or recyclable? Also Boston will ban plastic bags, and Iceland and Denmark are doing research to create biodegradable plastic bottles.
December kindness continues:
This my third post on December Kindness. I hope you can help spread some kindness this week. Kindness is a sustainable behavior. How can we all make our communities more kind and pleasant?
** Show gratitude, “Thank You!”
** Take a walk, focus on the beauty of winter.
** Make a special effort to watch for pedestrians when you drive.
** Positive Energy Day: Be positive to your family, and those you encounter at work. Admit if you make a mistake!
** Listen with eye contact
** Use real dishes and silverware, reuse. Think, “Zero waste!”
** Complement People Day!
** Sacrifice Your Place In Line Day!
** Shovel or sweep someone’s sidewalk.
“You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one. I hope someday you’ll join us. and the world will live as one.” John Lennon
The sun is shining and the temperature is comfortable. There couldn’t be a better day to think positive! Celebrate Positive Thinking Day today, September 13. A day to smile, love, be kind, enjoy and show gratitude!